Monday, July 02, 2007

Girls groups

Thanks to Mary Hess for introducing me, through her blog, to TVbyGirls, a nonprofit organization in Minnesota through which young women have the opportunity to create their own media products. I'm adding learning about this organization as one more reason I cannot wait to get back to Minnesota this coming fall. I'd love to think more about how faith communities could partner with already established organizations like this one to the benefit of the young women in their congregations.

Another organization that recently came to my attention is GOAL, an organization in Georgia that conducts experiential learning workshops that promote self-esteem and self-awareness among young women. They are currently looking for a full time program director and two interns for fall 2007.

Exploring TVbyGirls and GOAL also reminded me about New Moon, an award winning, advertising free magazine geared at girls ages 8-14 (also published in Duluth, MN). The goal of the magazine is to take girls' voices seriously, and it is an excellent alternative to the range of junior fashion mags.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home