Tuesday, May 22, 2007

No more periods?

According to an AP report, the FDA has just approved a new form of the birth control pill called Lybrel that is meant to end menstruating altogether. My first reaction: "Really? Can that be healthy?" I agree with the concern raised by sociologist Jean Elson, who is quoted in the AP article ,that approval of this drug makes menstruation seem more like "a medical condition" than a normal life event. While Lybrel may be a welcome relief to women who suffer through really painful menstruation, I am concerned about the message this sends to young women, who already get the message that menstruation is gross, dirty, etc.

When I did a retreat with seventh and eighth grade girls about a year ago, I was surprised at how little they knew about menstruation. Some of the questions they asked me anonymously through our question box were, "How long does an average cycle last?" "Is it true that you can't get pregnant while you have your period?" and "Will it hurt a lot when I finally get my period?" On msn.com's coverage of the Lybrel story, there is a link to an interactive depiction of the menstrual cycle. I wish I had had something like it when I ran the retreat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home